Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Santa Claus' favorite coffee

Hello again!

I have officially made it 2 weeks in this years coldest place on earth. I am starting to get the hang of living here- as long as I am dressed appropriately normally the cold really isn't too bad! I finally received the huge box of blankets, jackets, snow pants, and other warm clothing so I feel much better equipped to handle being in -30 to -50 degree weather everyday. The weather man keeps telling us that we should have a break in the cold and it be up to a toasty 25 degrees ABOVE zero by tomorrow, but I'm not so sure!!! This past weekend it was below -50 so we ended up staying inside watching movies, playing board games (Chris my roommate is a fanatic when it comes to board games) and praying we didn't have to leave the house! Chris and I did venture out long enough to throw hot water from a pot and see it freeze in midair which is what the picture that looks like a bomb went off is!!! It's funny talking to native Alaskan's about doing things like that because they all say "it never occurred to me to try that!" I guess it's like flying kites at the beach for us! Even though it was cold by Sunday both Chris and I were going stir crazy and decided during the afternoon when the sun was out to bundle up and venture to the grocery store, Fred Meyers, about a mile away. It was really nice to get out but by the time we arrived we both had an ice mustache, our eyelashes were completely white with frost, and all my nose hairs were frozen. It was pretty hilarious looking! The good thing about this kind of weather is that it is so dry here as soon as you walk back inside you immediately shake the cold! Fairbanks is actually considered a tundra/desert so I have to constantly remind myself to drink water! While in the grocery store we discovered santat claus' favorite coffee: ST. NICKERDOODLE! hahahaha I thought you all would enjoy that! I thought it was quite charming! Well time to get back to the grind but look out for more post next week!

1 comment:

  1. Ok ... Here's your word to remember. MOISTURIZE! Doesn't matter if the product is cheap or expensive ... Just do it! That dry cold will be brutal on your sweet face. You will thank yourself when you're my age! I'm excited about seeing Alaska through your eyes. That's the only state I've never been to. Stay warm and take care.

    ReplyDelete